GBF Food Bank The cornerstone of client services at GBF is the provision of healthy nutritional choices. We offer clients the opportunity to shop in a grocery store-like atmosphere using a system…
WITHOUT OUR VOLUNTEERS GBF WOULD JUST BE THREE SMALL LETTERS!
We are extremely proud of our team at GBF Community Services. Currently, we have over 300 volunteers who work enthusiastically every day in our facility, knowing that by volunteering they’re helping to fight hunger in their community. This is a incredibly rewarding experience for those who give of their time. There are many ways to donate your time to GBF Community Services.
VOLUNTEER ROLES INCLUDE:
- Food sorting : Sorting food donations into different categories. This would include weighing and replacing incoming donations, checking expiry dates etc.
- Organization of incoming donations for both the shopping area and the warehouse storage;
- Assembling of special client packages: Backpacks, Easter program, Birthday program, Thanksgiving program, and the Christmas Hamper program and Baby Layettes;
- Pick up of weekly purchases at local grocery stores: bread, milk, Ontario Association of Food Bank donations.
- Unpack, tag, stock clothing, households, crafts, electrical items, toys, etc.
- Cashiers: process purchases, assist with bagging of merchandise.
- Test electronics and appliances.
- Assist at furniture desk, writing invoices, customer service.
- Assist with re-merchandising the store to ensure maximum space for newly donated merchandise.
- Warehouse Receivers: receiving incoming donations from the community; distributing to sorting areas.
- Garbage Run – This would include taking garbage runs to Regional landfill.
These roles are considered light to medium labour, but we have many opportunities for volunteers with special needs when requested.